Thursday, September 18, 2008

Professors - Close Your Classes Compellingly - And Ensure More Learning

By Meggin McIntosh

I never used to provide closure of any type in my classes. I didn't always plan my time well and I would often look at my watch and realize that time was up--or, as a wise professor once said, the 'book bag levitation factor' would come into play, and I would abruptly end class. However, after learning more about the power of 'closure' activities, no matter how brief, I began experimenting with a number of ways to bring my college class to a close--for increased learning--each time we met.

After early experimentation, I continued to use closure activities for two reasons, both of which I consider important:

  1. for my students because I believe that their learning is enhanced when they have an opportunity to review and/or pull together ideas from the day's lectures and learning experiences and

  2. for me because it gives me a chance to find out what I have done well (and sometimes what I have not done as well as I had hoped). I will share a few ideas below that you may be able to use with the same success, I have.

The first idea involves a modified KWL (Know, Want to Know, and Learned) strategy, which was first suggested by Donna Ogle from National-Louis University (simply Google KWL and you'll find multiple examples to download). If you have had students complete the first parts at the beginning of a class (i.e., having them think about what they already know about the topic we are going to be discussing and to hypothesize about what they will learn and want to know, thereby helping to prepare them for learning), then you can have them complete the last two parts as class is coming to a close. I've found this modification useful:

As class is nearing its end, ask students to review their notes, think about what they have learned, and then jot down questions that they still have about the day's topic. Then, have students write about something that is so unclear to them that they cannot even formulate a question. (Haven't we all had that experience!) I collect these KWL sheets from the students as they leave and by reading them, can see exactly where I need to go for the next lecture or class discussion.

Another idea that I enjoy using is the graffiti board. I have used this in two different ways. For larger classes, I put some butcher paper on the wall near the door. At the end of class, I write the topic for the day or a phrase or quote related to the topic on the butcher paper. Then, I ask students to make a comment or statement about the topic or to write a question that they have over the day's lesson, as they are leaving the room. There are markers available, but many students just use their own pens or pencils. When everyone has left, I take my time reading over what they have written on the butcher paper. It is always informative.

On days when we have had an extremely content-heavy lecture or video (which of course I intend to hold the students responsible for, and want to emphasize that to them), I will do a "grade your colleague" activity. About 5-10 minutes before the end of class, I ask students to pair up. One partner's task is to find out how much the other partner learned during the day's class. Then, partner #1 is to grade the learning of partner #2. They must justify why they awarded the number of points that they did (usually I allow 5-10 points for this). Partner #2's grade is based on how well s/he justified the grade given to Partner #1. A number of my colleagues have been skeptical of the value of this one, but once they tried it, they found that it met their objectives for review and closure. (Plus you can use it to take attendance!)

can be used anytime during a class, but I think my favorite time is at the end of class, for closure. I give my students a learning log with a question or prompt, such as,

Learning logs

  • What was the most interesting thing you learned today?
  • What surprised you about today's class?
  • The pieces of the puzzle are beginning to come together for me now. Let me tell you how....
  • I have a suggestion for what you could do differently the next time you teach this class... and so on.

Sometimes, everyone responds to the same question or prompt and other times, students choose from among 2 or 3. I get information from students' responses on learning logs that my experience has taught me I can't get any other way.

The last idea involves giving students a response sheet (to be used over and over) that has several boxes, each of which has a different numeral in it. At the end of class, I choose one of the boxes and tell students that they are to tell what they learned in class using the exact number of words that the numeral in the box indicates. These can be handed in by students for the me to read and then give back at the next class period to be used again another day (and I can also take attendance using these, too).

If you have never tried closure activities or if you are looking for some new ones, I encourage you to try these. You and your students will benefit.


For more useful ideas for your life as a professor (including ideas for learning logs), be sure to check out ideas offered by The Productivity Professor(tm) at

**Top Ten Productivity Tips - http://www.TopTenProductivityTips.com

**From the Desk of Meggin McIntosh - http://FromtheDeskofMegginMcIntosh.com

(c) 2008 by Meggin McIntosh, Ph.D., "The Productivity Professor"(tm). Through her company, Emphasis on Excellence, Inc., Meggin McIntosh changes what people know, feel, dream, and do. Sound interesting? It is!

No comments:

 

GooContents | Jump to TOP