Recent Posts



Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Finding Used Textbooks For College - 4 Cheap Suggestions

By Kevin Ihrig

Textbooks, even used textbooks for college seem to keep going up. And after you take the class, how often do you refer back to that book? I went to college - twice - and I learned that I should sell any used textbook with value.

The Problem: You need a book

I feel your pain - I've been there. In addition to a four year degree, I also earned a masters degree. And in between, I worked on getting a professional license.

I spent nearly a year working towards that license, months of that studying for a full day exam called the professional engineering fundamentals exam. It's similar to other professional exams, like the bar exam, the CPA for accountants and other tests.

It was a big deal, and it covered my whole college major. I had to study for months. I needed a guide to help me focus, as well. To prepare for this big exam, I needed a specific book with examples, problems to solve, and a good review by others who had taken the test before me.

How I found a Free Study Guide

First, I tried the normal stuff. I went to a big bookstore and looked around. The store had expensive books, no surprise there. I tried borrowing one from a friend, but I didn't like the format, and it didn't cover some things I needed.

Finally, I went to the city library, did a simple search, and found a few of the right kind of books. I looked them over, and picked out the book I thought looked the best.

I kept it until I had finished the test. It cost me about $5 in fees, because I had it too long, which I don't recommend. But I passed the test on my first try, and I used a semi-free textbook to do it. Good thing, too. It costs about $80 for that test, and if you fail, you have to request a retake through the state office. No shortage of paperwork and bureaucracy.

Suggestions

How can you use the library for used textbooks at college? Here are some pointers.

1. Finding a book: You won't always find the book you need. If you need a few novel like a Sue Grafton title, Grisham, new business books, classic plays, or great works of nonfiction like the Federalist papers, you can find it usually. If you want to find a regular textbook, you may or may not. I know one professor who used Against The Gods as a textbook for risk analysis - that one you could find.

2. Timing: The length of time you can check out a book will not last for your whole class. You have a few options to make this work. You may be able to simply extend your check out time if no one is waiting for the book. If you are a grad student, you may have extended check out privileges. If you do not have either of the, you might consider having a friend sign up on the waiting list to check out the book after you. Then, when it's due, you turn it in, and your friend gets the book next.

3. Where to look: Your university may have an agreement with other schools to use their library. This can make your life easier - you now have access to thousands more books.

4. Special reference books: Check your reference desk. Some schools set aside a few textbooks, especially popular ones, to be used only in the library.

These strategies work, I've used them. Take a minute and try them at your school. It won't take you long, and it could save you a lot of money.


Want more ways to save on used textbooks? Come to the Cheap Textbook Hub and read more great ways to save on college textbooks.

No comments:

 

GooContents | Jump to TOP