Recent Posts

Blog Archive



Friday, September 12, 2008

College Accreditation and Distance Learning

By Amanda Suryan

A few months ago I bought a new digital camera. Before deciding on which one I wanted, I did some comparison shopping. My dad and I looked at all the models in the stores, and I compared prices online. Finally after much research, I made a choice, and as of yet have been very happy with my decision.

As human beings, we're creatures of habit. We don't like to plunge into doing something new and different without a lot of research beforehand, especially when it comes to tried and true methods, like education.

Distance learning is a relatively new form of education. Because it's so unheard of, many people feel skeptical about it. When I tell people that I earned my degree from home via distance learning, the reply I get most often is, "What does that mean?" I don't mind explaining myself over and over again because I want the word to spread. Distance learning is a biblical alternative to college, and God has placed on my heart the desire to tell others about this way of obtaining an education that will still allow them to fulfill their biblical role without being negatively influenced by attending college.

One of the aspects of distance learning that many people are concerned about is that of accreditation. They wonder, will a degree obtained via distance learning be as acceptable in the workplace as a degree obtained from a university?

Let me share with you how the process works. To earn a degree from home, you have to earn enough college credits to qualify for the major you choose. Once you have enough credits, then you have to transfer them to an independent study college that will give you a degree in exchange. It's kind of like a trade.

What you want to make certain of is that the independent study college you choose to get your degree from is accredited. If a college is accredited, basically that means they have high standards for the quality of education they provide. Receiving a degree from an accredited independent study college via distance learning puts you on the same platform as someone who receives a degree the "normal" way - attending classes on a physical college campus.

The three main independent study colleges - Thomas Edison State College, Charter Oaks, and Excelsior - are all accredited. Whatever university you or your child decides to earn a degree from, make sure it's accredited. Then the degree you earn should receive equal significance in the workplace as a degree obtained from any other accredited university.


Amanda Suryan is an expert on accelerated distance learning. She has an amazing mini-course called, "Five Reasons Why You Should Consider Becoming a Distance Learner!" To claim your FREE copy, visit: http://www.DistanceLearnerSite.com

No comments:

 

GooContents | Jump to TOP